The spring sales will be starting soon. Very early discounts are already trickling in, with promos such as 25 percent off for friends and family or an extra 25 percent off sale items. I don’t usually shop these preliminary sales unless I’m getting something for my daughter. The selection is small at this point and usually doesn’t include the current season.
The real sales will kick in around Memorial Day—which means the time to start thinking about what you might add to your wardrobe is now.
I don’t shop a terrific amount in the spring. If you’ve been reading this site, you know I do most of my amassing during the Fall/Winter sales. But since we do enjoy a wee bit of summer here in Chicago, I will be on the hunt for two categories of things: items I am absolutely drooling over and easy dresses that are super affordable. This list is really about my ideas for things I want, not necessarily specific pieces I must have. This is the best starting point as you begin your chase.
1. A graphic/super colorful accessory. I am dying over the 1973 collection from Valentino. I’m a huge fan of 60s and (early) 70s style and geometric patterns make my heart race. I also love playing with prints. I’m a firm believer that they are actually much more versatile than a neutral or solid piece. The Swarovski and plexiglass pieces are from another galaxy. I can’t even talk about those.
2. A retro denim jacket. This Kenzo jacket also has serious throwback appeal. I’m really digging the balloon shape and short sleeves.
3. Platform shoes. These Stella McCartney platforms are going to be nearly impossible to nab on sale but that doesn’t mean I won’t try! These are my ideal but I’ll be looking at all the platform shoes this season. They are funky and edgy and completely fresh.
4. A printed coat. This adorable one is from MSGM. I’ll be taking stock of any printed coat that goes on sale. I have a slight obsession with outerwear and I have found that I get a ton of use out of my printed ones—they add a bit more oomph to an outfit and are therefore extremely versatile.
5. Printed dress. Is it obvious yet how much I love a fun print? This happy pineapple print dress by MSGM is perfect against this dreamy mint backdrop.
6. Sporty sandal. The sandal I’ll be looking to pick up this year for summer has an espadrille/sporty rubber sole like this one from Prada.
7. Gaucho shorts. At the very top of my list for spring/suummer ’15 is a pair of gaucho shorts or culottes. They’re dressier than shorts but still easy breezy. This navy pair from 3.1 Phillip Lim is perfection.
8. Slip-on sneaks. These slip-on sneakers from Joshua Sanders are such fun. I wish he would come out with a CH-I pair, but as a former Manhattanite, I will always love NY so these are more than cool for me.
9. Colorful kicks. I have been on such a sneaker kick. I’m totally into wearing them with everything (including dresses) and I love these Adidas ones for the same reasons I adore the 1973 collection—see what I mean about thinking in terms of ideas first!
10. Wide-leg denim. Note to the row of skinny jeans in my closet: I love you but we’re taking a break. I am so excited that wide-leg denim pants like these from Rag & Bone are trending and will be searching for the perfect pair once the sales roll in. Stay tuned!
What items are you looking for this spring? I’d love to know.
Happy spring shopping! xo